Regional Government
Citizen Space
Business Space
About Azores
  news Legislation Schedule Communities Contacts Portal Map Links Help
Versão PortuguesaMUDAR LÍNGUA
See in: entities  categories

Agriculture and Forestry
Business Relations with the Regional Government
Civil Protection
Closing a company
Economical Inspection
Financing and Incentives
Housing and Infrastructures
Human Resource Management
Inovation, Reserach and Development and Technology
Law, Regulations
Science and Technology
Social Security
Starting a company
Statistics and Indicators


Get News of the Government by RSS - click here
Know more about RSS ...


Ponta Delgada ,  March 04, 2010

Carlos César assures that the Government is available to support Local Councils, but it is not accountable for their debts

Carlos César said last Thursday that the Government should neither “discuss the goodness of the municipal investments as long as they are developed in a legal framework” nor “take responsibility for the payments of the debts incurred by local councils in order carry out such investments.”

“All local councils will certainly investment mistakes and difficult situations,” Carlos César stressed, adding that relying on the Government’s help to pay the debts cannot be a solution in all these situations.

The President of the Government received at an audience the Mayor of the Vila Franca do Campo Town Hall – who alerted Carlos César for the alarming financial situation of the municipality for which he was recently elected – and conveyed his expectation that “with talent, strong will, boldness and innovative situations,” Vila Franca, likewise other local councils, will be able to overcome the difficulties inherited from previous mandates.

Stressing that the Government’s interest in following the local administration to determine the possibility of providing support in the face of difficulties, Carlos César said that, in the case of Vila Franca do Campo, the Government may support 15% of the renewal of the “Plano dos Centenários” schools. The remaining 85% would be paid by the town hall, using Community funds.

For Carlos César, the establishment of contracts with the local administration for investments requiring EU funds is an alternative perspective, as “this means work and the involvement of companies,” however, in the case of Vila Franca do Campo, this also assumes that the Town Hall has to solve pending situations, such as the case of the Açor Arena and the Marina, with the funding entities and suppliers which have not received any payment from the Vila Franca Town Hall for a long time.”

Mentioning the importance of becoming acquainted with the financial situation of public institutions – a reason for which he praised the availability and transparency of the current administration of the Vila Franca Town Hall – Carlos César revealed the existence of local councils that, despite significant budgets, are also facing serious difficulties.

“It is very important that the Media, with their freedom and influence in the Azores, become acquainted with the financial situation of every local council,” defended Carlos César, to whom transparency is necessary and not the “burdening of suppliers and companies with debts that take months and, sometimes, years to be paid.”



Official government press-releases presented in all foreign languages interfaces of the Azorean Government Portal (Portal do Governo dos Açores) are a sub-set of the government's official press-releases daily output and are chosen for translation and publication on the foreign language interfaces based on audience segmentation criteria. The entire collection of the Azorean government press-releases is available in portuguese, here, from the GACS Press Office site.

   Print   Send Send News   GaCS GaCS Site   Regional Press Regional Press   rss  

Last News

Advanced Search >>


This e-mail address is at your disposal for you to place your questions to the Regional Government of the Azores.
Ask the Government!


Health Ombudsman
Listen to this Page LISTEN
Go to top of page TOP
help HELP
Versão PortuguesaMUDAR LÍNGUA

Símbol of Acessibilidade on Web
main | President | Regional Government | Citizen Space | Business Space | About Azores | My Site